How do I open my headlights?
There are several options to consider when opening headlights.
Option 1 Baking (Industry standard)
- Headlights can be baked in the oven at 240 degrees for 12-20 min (allow oven to fully preheat before inserting headlights.( pro tip: put aluminum foil on the oven rack in between headlight and surfface it sits on)
- Once headlight has been fully heated take it out using heat resistant gloves.
- Use a flat head screwdriver to begin prying from one end of the headlight until you have worked around the entire light. Be sure to work all the way around the headlight before attempting to pull the lens off.
- If the lens won’t separate, you will need to re-heat the headlight in the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes then repeat.
Option 2 Cut Open (Easiest)
- Headlights can be cut open using a rotary cutting tool, Dremel, oscillating tool, or ultrasonic cutter. Cut the seal where the lens meets the housing
- Be sure to use slow and controlled cuts until you have worked your way around the entire headlight assembly.
- The Lens will then come right off
How do I reseal my headlights after cutting open?
- After cutting open align headlights and lens together as best you can.
- You can then use a hot knife or soldering iron and melt the plastic together around the cut. (optional step)
- Finish off with RTV silicone sealant for extra security
Option 3 (safest for beginners ) Heat gun
- Using a heat gun, heat around the entire edge of the headlight until you have worked your way around several times. The outside seal of the headlight should be nice and hot.
- Be sure to keep the heat moving and don't hold the heat gun in one spot for too long or melting can occur. Additionally heat should not touch the main face of the lens. Only the outer edge.
- Once headlight has been fully heated, Use a flat head screwdriver to begin prying from one end of the headlight until you have worked around the entire light. Be sure to work all the way around the headlight before attempting to pull the lens off.
- If the lens won’t separate, you will need to re-heat the headlight for an additional 5-10 minutes then repeat.
Option 4: Get a local professional to install
One word: YOUTUBE ! if you are inexperienced a great option is to simply watch a youtube tutorial on how to open and seal headlights. (There are tons of them, use your best judgement to find a good one )
Check out our top 3 recommended Youtube videos on how to open headlights